Wednesday, April 25, 2007

An interview, courtesy of Deborah at ephemeralchaos.blogspot.com

1. What do you teach & how long have you been teaching?

I teach Broadcast Journalism and have been teaching for 17 (yikes) years. Four were at another school, 13 at my current (and preferred) university. Previously, I worked in radio and tv news as a writer, producer and executive producer for about 14 years. Only one of my degrees is in journalism, however. The others are in English lit and American Studies.

2. What was your worst job ever?

That's a good question. I've worked at some lousy places, but pretty much enjoyed most of my jobs. I guess the worst was working at a summer camp that was supposed to be intellectually stimulating for kids, but really just kept them inactive inside of classrooms all day. They ended up paying me less than promised.

3. I notice you like David Sedaris. He's one of my favorites too. What do you like about his writing?

He's so funny. Few writers make me laugh out loud. Sedaris is insightful and biting, without being mean. Plus he zeros in on the idiocy of things we just sort of accept in our culture.
At the suggestion of my 21-year-old son, I'm currently reading "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klostermann. The essay on soccer alone is worth the price of the book.

4. What are your blogging pet peeves?

I'm wary when people start promoting themselves too much. I'm not sure it rises to the level of a pet peeve, though.

5. And, of course, when did you start knitting?

My European grandmother was a great knitter, but kind of high strung and not much of a teacher. When I was about 12, I decided I wanted to learn to knit. My mother decided it would be a really bad idea for my granny to teach me, so she sent me to another knitter who was a bit more patient. I guess mom figured if I tried with my grandma, I'd never stick with it. I will note that my mom never knit, so she must have been acting from experience.
Anyway, this lady was terrific and I was a bit of a knitter for awhile---scarfs mostly. I then dropped it for about 15 years, picked it up again for long enough to make my first sweater. I stopped again for almost 20 years and picked it up again about 5 or 6 years ago so I would have something to do during high school football games.

Now it’s your turn to play if you wish:

Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.” I will respond by asking you five questions in the comments here on this post so check back here. I get to pick the questions. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


I finished another pair of jaywalkers last night. I love the color of these.

3 comments:

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

Cute socks--I love that color!

Annie said...

I really like your jaywalkers! Me? Can't get them to fit. Poo.

Want to interview me?

Eileen said...

Annie,

I'd love to interview you, but I can't access your profile. Tell me how to get in touch!

Eileen